Monday, July 27, 2009

Moral Panic Department

Ridiculous article in the NY Times.

I think somebody's been watching too many sci-fi horror movies over there because I'm pretty sure they're trying to create a moral panic about the singularity.

Meh, I'm tired though, I'm going to review this and try to tackle it more thoroughly within the next few days hopefully.

In the mean time watch out for those autonomous kill bots y'all (and, maybe check out the always insightful H+ Magazine for singularity and transhumanist related issues).

n.b. Yes, I'm well aware that the singularity does sort of read as a technocratic rapture and personally I am not expecting or saying it will or will not happen, but I find it rather obtuse to draw the types of conclusions that the Times does which are, let's face it, little more than scaremongering.

No comments:

Post a Comment